THE ARTE OF FACE
LAS VEGAS PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY
What Makes a Great Portrait Photographer?
Here’s a list of 5 critical steps to create stunning photography. Master these and leonardo da vinci himself would be proud of you!
1) Location has to be beautiful with an array of colors and geometry, because if the scenery is plain and simple then the impact factor drops. The Location is the foreground, the background and everything in between. A good location supports the subject and draws attention to them while also contributing to the overall feel and look. This is why the location is an integral element of any great portrait. or any photograph style. Take a look at our fun location guide for free here!
2) Lighting is what makes an average photo into a masterpiece, using a key light, shadow filler and a rim light is what makes the portrait pop from the background. Good lighting is an obvious key part of any exceptional portrait. The way light bounces across the person’s face and body is one of the most important aspects of a photography.
3) Composition is also a key factor so it all depends on how the person is posing and the framing the photographer chooses. A photo can be framed and cropped in so many distinctive ways that drastically change the feeling of the photograph. Check our our posing guide here!
4) Emotions the model is portraying is what adds that human quality and the magical similarity that touches the core of our spirit. Body language makes up the vast majority of human communication. Since we can’t speak in photos, therefore body language becomes the only way a person can communicate in photographs.
5) Technical Settings on the camera for example: shutter speed, aperture, white balance, ISO and focal length. When all 5 of these elements are well executed, a great portrait is created. If any of these elements comes up short, the quality of the portrait suffers.
6) Camera Recommendations Are dependent on your actual needs, for example some people wear by Canon while others love Sony. I personally have owned Nikon, Canon, Fuji cameras but my all time favorite is definitely Sony. I use the A7iii and this small powerhouse produces magnificent photographs.
This example shows that shadows can hide features of the face and how it can be manipulated for artistic reasons. Knowing this information, will give you breathtaking portrait photography.
This photograph shows how lighting can be used as an effect and ad beautiful boke patterns. Also, both ambient lighting and studio lighting give completely different results.